Brought to you by Steve Uphaus
Uphaus Insurance, 765-935-5050
Make sure your home is safe and energy efficient this winter by following these tips:
- Have your furnace checked by an authorized repairman – small malfunctions can lead to big heating bills or potentially dangerous operation.
- Be sure your attic and basement are adequately insulated. Wrap basement pipes and hot water heaters with special insulating blankets to prevent freezing and heat loss.
- Be sure to have plenty of ice-melt, kitty litter or sand on hand for steps, porches and sidewalks.
- If you rely on gas or electric heat, make sure you have an alternate heating source should your primary source go out for any reason.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are in working order! There should be at least one on each level of your home.
- Check your fire extinguishers to make sure they are fully charged.
- Clean your rain gutters to allow a smooth flow of water from melting snow and ice.
- Consider getting a carbon monoxide detector for sleeping areas unless you have electric heat sources.
- Drain and remove garden hoses and turn off outside water lines.